Wednesday, June 15, 2011

what we're reading

Our latest reading excitement is Take Flight, the public library's summer reading program. I didn't realize that even preschoolers could participate, otherwise I would have introduced Meris to the joy of weekly prizes a couple years ago. This year, he came home from school with a flyer about the program. The goal is to read (or be read to) a total of nine hours any time between June 13 and July 30. The kids color in one egg on their reading log for every 20 minutes that they read. I think Meris colored in nine eggs within the first 36 hours of signing up! He has become quite the independent bookworm.

I've got my own summer project--getting my kids to eat more widely and with greater gusto. That said, I'm pulling out cookbooks and looking for recipes that I think may appeal to them. Reading posts by a good friend who blogs at little gem has inspired me to be a bit more creative with my cooking, now that I'm coming out of new baby bliss and trying to take care of my family (and myself!). She reminded me of The Petit Appetit by Lisa Barnes, a cookbook with simple yet interesting recipes for babies, toddlers, and young children. I've brushed it off and made a grocery list... now to get cooking!

~jkg

No comments: