Wednesday, June 8, 2011

what we're reading today

We have not been in a book rut this week, so it's a bit difficult to choose one title for a mini-review! Since I'm feeling a bit nostalgic (common symptom of new mommy brain, right?), I'll go with Lucille by Arnold Lobel. This book is part of the I Can Read series, which apparently has been around for years and years, because Lucille has a copyright date of 1964! (Just checked the site--the first I Can Read title was published in 1957). The copy we are reading was mine growing up (hence the nostalgia). It appears to have been part of a USPS auction, and was marked down from $4.75 all the way to $0.75!

Anyway, Matea has repeatedly asked me to read this short tale about a purple horse (Lucille) who briefly tries to escape her horse-ness and become a lady, as in one who wears a hat, lovely white dress, and four shiny red shoes. Lucille joins the farmer's wife (her co-conspirator in this endeavor) at tea with all the other ladies, only to discover (spoiler alert!!) that she'd really rather remain true to herself and work out in the fields with the farmer and other dirty farm animals. I'm not exactly sure why Matea is so drawn to this book--perhaps the humorous illustrations of a silly situation--but I admit I also find it a satisfying read, even after 30 years!

~jkg

No comments: