Wednesday, May 25, 2011

what we're reading

We are still spending lots of time reading and talking about Ponyella, but we do have something new from the library. We recently discovered the Crinkleroot nature series. I first brought home Crinkleroot's Guide to Knowing the Trees; it was such a hit that we now have Crinkleroot's Guide to Knowing the Birds. Meris professes to love nature and animals, so he is the primary fan of these books. The Crinkleroot character is a knowledgeable little old man with a long white beard who takes the reader on nature walks. I haven't read them many times--Ariel is the preferred bedtime reader at the moment--but the illustrations are pleasing and the content apparently compelling.

As for me, I've been flipping through The Family Dinner by Laurie David. It's a cookbook, but with lots of tidbits about why we parents should make it a tradition to eat dinner at the table (as opposed to in the car) with our children most nights. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but it's a fun collection of anecdotes and photos to browse through when I've got my hands free to hold a book (as opposed to a newborn!).

Happy reading!

~jkg

No comments: