Saturday, April 16, 2011

Pregnant women can jump!

So it's apparently been about one year since my last post. Quite a bit has happened since then. For one thing, I'm expecting baby #3 in about three weeks. As a last-blast family trip, we enjoyed 10 days of February warmth and sun in Florida. This included a visit to Disney World, complete with a jumping shot in front of Cinderella's castle. (Yes, jumping at 31 weeks pregnant is painful.)

Meris had a good jump here. Hopefully Matea will be able to jump on command by next year....

Matea's favorite activity these days is "triking." Here she is, raising money for Beth Emet's Early Childhood Program, one of the two preschools she attends. This is also an opportunity to point out her Cinderella costume, a hand-me-down she wears at least 22 hours a day, 7 days a week!

And last but not least, here we have her blowing out candles at her third birthday party. (Note that she is again/still wearing the Cinderella dress, just over one month after the trike-a-thon!). Matea requested strawberry cake with strawberry frosting for her party, so I dutifully found and made the recipes in Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book. I decorated them with dinosaur toppers from ShopBakersNook.com--cute enough for a little girl's birthday celebration! The sheet cake base is Grandmother Whitehead's Famous Texas Fudge Cake from Birthday Cakes: Recipes and Memories from Celebrated Bakers by Kathryn Kleinman. My husband, who normally turns down chocolate cake, says that this one is a keeper. He also loved the frosting--but then, who wouldn't love mascarpone frosting (tinted green), also from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book.

The cupcakes were a hit with both the kids and adults. Personally, I think I need to break out my pastry bag and improve my frosting technique before the next birthday party baking project. Another project for the list of things to do with all my free time!

~jkg